On Curiosity and Productivity


On Curiosity and Productivity

“Ring…ring!” The last bell of the day sounds as students at my local high school depart from what many of them call, as cliché as it may sound, “prison.” Although I would not dare resort to such drastic name-calling, I look forward to the time of day when I can return home, sit in my reading chair, and pick up a good book. I know what you are thinking. “What makes reading a text at home more enjoyable than reading some dull passage on Andrew Carnegie’s vertical integration tactics?” The truth is I enjoy being able to savor a book for the sake of my own curiosity. That is not to say that I will not enjoy some of the interesting passages in that old History 1110 textbook; however, I would much prefer a style of reading that is not under a deadline, not for a test, nor under any sort of pressure other than the weight of curiosity. As a means of answering my own questions regarding the world in which we live, space travel,  consciousness, and philosophy, reading provides me with insights in a much more therapeutic way than rote memorization for a test ever could.
Although I try to read widely and frequently now, reading was not always among my list of favorite pastimes. Favoring a game of two-touch football with some of my friends at Friday Night Lights, I would have much rather spent my time divulging in sports than developing my curiosity. However, after entering high school and having been very lucky to have the teachers, mentors, and counselors that I do, I have been able to, much like a 5-year-old, question everything. After all, this fiery curiosity has prompted miraculous scientific advancements, astounding innovations, and emotionally galvanizing art. It is this same curiosity that inspired Thomas Edison to fail 999 times and persevere to see his vision come to fruition. It is this same curiosity that pushed Elon Musk to build re-land able rockets. It is this same curiosity that encouraged Isaac Newton to ponder on why the apple fell from the tree. Thus, my ability to question everything has allowed me to not only satisfy my personal inclinations but to potentially shed some light on some turn-of-the-century discoveries solely for curiosity’s sake.





Thanks for all the support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mere Philosophy #2

Mere Philosophy #1

Mere Philosophy #5