Veganism: Misconceptions and why I am experimenting with it
I have been in self-isolation in my dorm room for a while now. So, why not try something new to spice it up? After being notified that my college’s hospitality services would be delivering food to my door, I decided to go out on a limb, asking them to only supply vegan food: food with no animal products. The reason I tossed around the idea of experimenting with veganism initiated after watching a Netflix documentary called Cowspiracy. The documentary pointed out some interesting truths and misconceptions concerning global warming as well as the animal agriculture industry. After investigating the research on climate change and how it is affected by animal agriculture, especially by cattle, I was shocked to find that 660 gallons of water are needed to produce 1 hamburger, according to waterfootprintcalculator.org. Also, water vapor and methane are two gases that are contributing substantially to global warming. Both gases are a direct result of the practices implemented by the animal agriculture industry to get the cow from the pasture, to the slaughterhouse, and ultimately, into your stomach. There is a solution, however, that, if implemented correctly and universally, would dwindle the amount of total greenhouse gas emissions, save the lives of innocent animals that do not deserve death, prevent deforestation, and dramatically increase the time that Earth will inhabit life.
But how can one person make all
this difference? You ask. The real answer is that I cannot. However, with your
help, for your sake, to prolong your extinction (and possibly prevent human
extinction), for your children’s sake, and for their children’s sake, we can
end the vicious cycle of animal extinction, provide a better place for our
children to thrive, and refrain from unnecessarily harming animals that have
the same right to be on Earth you and I.
So, to clear up any misconceptions,
I will provide my thoughts, input, and initial fears of becoming vegan. To
start, I was raised an omnivore (a person who eats both plant and animal
products) all my life. Between school, work, and some semblance of social life,
the last thing I wanted to worry about was the food on my plate. However, after
giving some thought to the harm and cruelty served to animals every day, I reckoned
I better give veganism at least some consideration. Once my period of
self-isolation began, I decided to go for it. I was highly skeptical and held demonizing
thoughts about vegans and their hippy-like ideologies. However, vegans, simply
put, care greatly for the environment. So much so, that they are willing to sacrifice
their diet of steak and tacos for the sake of the meat-eater’s environment and
well-being. Talk about selfless service.
After trying out the new diet for a
few days, my bowels have since adjusted to the new food intake. I also felt
highly exhausted at the beginning of this journey and had to consume a
substantially larger volume of food just to maintain my energy. However, I was
not disappointed. I realized now that I feel abundantly healthy, I love the
food, and I am no longer tired from this new diet. After a brief adjustment period,
I venture to say that I feel better than ever. And, I am sure that you will
too.
I am not saying that you must
sacrifice your whole diet for the sake of our environment. I do ask, though,
that you can at least give veganism a chance, and if not, at least mitigate
your consumption of animal products. If you do this, I will not be able to thank
you enough. For you are helping the environment, animals in the agriculture industry,
the sustainability of life on Earth, as well as I.
Thanks for the read! Save the animals! Save the environment!
Best regards,
-Kyle
Comments
Post a Comment